Monday, September 8, 2008

Covering a 20 foot Alaskan "home" gertee

Last winter I lived in an 18 foot gertee with my daughter and her newborn. This year we're in a 20 footer that looks and feels a lot more like the modern American yurts we've seen only in pictures. To purchase one of these new costs over ten grand, we made ours for 1/10th of that.

Put the last of the RadiantGuard at the floor level where a lot of hot air escapes. I put it on the roof of the 18 footer and the other morning with no fires in either one, the small RadiantGuard covered gertee was 42 degrees and the 20 footer with the 4 foot roofwindow was 62 degrees. The sunroof lets in a lot of light and I'm hoping I don't have to recover it. A new bubble dome window cover costs about $600. Our recycled plexiglass version is flat but it was free.

The best thing about gertees is once you have a workable roofring and frame it can be covered with just about anything. Our 20 foot model is still covered in canvas and the roof is a 30' tarp pool cover with a parachute liner. This all held up extremely well over the coldest and wettest summer I've ever seen in AK. Anticipating 50 below or colder, I've added RadiantGuard insulation and used wool military ironing board covers to the inside walls and floor. (I love this material and wish I could get on a donation list for Army posts who throw it away.)

I also added plastic windows that were part of a tent liner I bought at Second Chance on Spenard in Anchorage last time we went to town. They have a lot of good stuff but it's mostly overpriced; I had to dicker hard and I still paid too much.

We've transformed the 20 foot gertee "museum" into our personal work space. The difference between the new one (20 feet across with 6 1/2 ft walls) and the first model (18 foot across with 5 foot walls) we lived in for the past year is amazing. We think a 24 footer will be spectacular.

6' water and dishes shelf/room divider.
This started as an old chainsaw made table I got from Rick. First I cleaned it up with white paint. Since I wanted to hang the Sun Showers over my dish sink area, I used my chainsaw and modified it the same way I did my minis (it's my first full sized mini).

New kitchen/LR entryway.
Found the pile of tiles in Tim's "junk" lot, it works on the countertop and entryway floor.

Nightime inside the new kitchen

Just was told our forest firefighter friend saved me a whole box of used emergency fireproof pup tents. He says the material is a lot like the RadiantGuard, only thicker. Oh happy day! Anybody want one before I cut them up?

Thank goodness we finally have an office set up that actually works for us, and stays warm. We're back on track with a whole month before it gets below freezing. I am determined to make it out here through another winter and I think this beautiful larger space will make it just a little bit nicer, for all of us. The roof is the only thing that worries me so I'm gonna cut down an 11 foot diamond willow tree and use it as a main post, then I'll work off it to frame in a loft bedroom over the office. I'll be adding more materials as they arrive.

Donations are always welcome. I could really use more real insulation, bolts of fabric, throw rugs and old sheets and bedspreads. Down comforters would be awesome; after 6 years in the same sleeping bag it fell apart at the zipper and I'm ready for something new. Sure wish I knew how to make quilts. Please send your kind donations to us at HC60 Box 326-A, Copper Center, AK 99573.

Almost the only place the global communitarian system is openly discussed is in upper academia, international law schools and newly established EU national transition agencies. Regardless of 3 EU nation's voter rejections of the EU Constitution, the globalist's regionalization agenda moves forward as planned. Remember, the EU is the MODEL for the Middle Eastern Union, the African Union, the Asian Union and of course the North and South American Unions.

This just came in on the NYU Jean Monnet law school elist:

Scott Siegel, "Courts and Compliance in the European Union: The European Arrest Warrant in National Constitutional Courts"
(JMWP no. 05/08)

"The member states of the European Union have expanded the tools they use to cooperate in combating transnational crime and terrorism. Chief among these is the Framework Decision on the European Arrest Warrant, which requires judicial and police authorities to bypass all national extradition procedures involving suspects residing in an EU member state. Only Germany, Poland, Italy, and the Republic of Cyprus experienced severe delays in implementing the required national legislation. Contrary to the expectations of veto players theory, national constitutional courts do not veto EU law, but instruct legislatures on how best to redraft legislation, securing compliance.

"We invite you to access this Working Paper on the Jean Monnet Center website at www.jeanmonnetprogram.org."

No comments: